Meet our Leaders
THE BOLD EARTH LEADERSHIP TEAM
All trips include one male and one female trip leader who are at least 21 years old. Our average age is 26 years old with a return rate of more than 50 percent each summer. Our hiring process is competitive, resulting in what we believe to be the most professional, safe and experienced leaders in the industry. We conduct an in-depth interview, check references and do a background check of all potential trip leaders. Organizational skills, sense of humor, safety and an ability to teach teenagers about leadership and adventure travel, are the qualities we value most. On most international trips, we employ a local guide fluent in the local culture and language.
Is it all fun and games? Yes it is. The vast majority of teens who join Bold Earth enjoy the privilege of teen adventure travel and respect necessary limits. Bold Earth is NOT designed to correct behavior, but instead to be a haven of enthusiasm, respect, trust and responsibility. Disrespectful behavior requiring extensive attention or breaking the law will result in dismissal. We are happy to send you a copy of our Participant Agreement which clearly defines the boundaries of our community.
BOLD EARTH TEEN ADVENTURES TRIP LEADERS
We employ highly motivated role models with extensive experience working with youth in adventure environments. Many Trip Leaders continue to work with Bold Earth for six or more years. Bold Earth is an equal opportunity employers and will not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion or age. Each of our adventure groups is an autonomous group of up to 16 teenagers and 2-3 adult leaders. Trip Leader trainees are paired in a co-leadership position with an experienced Senior Leader. Your responsibilities include safety, successfully teaching teenagers to take initiative in learning camp skills, facilitating positive group dynamics, as well as teaching minimum impact camping techniques and map and compass skills. BOLD EARTH contracts professional outfitters to join your group for most skill activities such as rock climbing, mountain biking, sailing, horseback riding, white water rafting and kayaking. You do not need to have expert knowledge in all activities, however, you will oversee and be responsible for campers at all times.
Staff training orientation begins on June 22 at 8:00 am in Golden, Colorado. Staff training is the time that Bold Earth directors form teams, teach and assess trainee skills essential to accomplish this complex and demanding leadership job. Employment is anywhere from four to nine weeks. Eighty percent of all BOLD EARTH first year jobs are in the United States.
BASIC TRIP LEADER REQUIREMENTS:
- 21 years old by July 1, 2014.
- College graduate, or in the process of completing a degree.
- A maximum of one moving violation on your driving record in the past three years.
- A minimum certification by June 1 of Wilderness First Responder or Advanced Wilderness First Aid, Adult Wilderness EMT and Life guarding are highly recommended. (Yes, you can apply and then complete WFR before June).
- Enthusiasm and commitment to working hard to provide a positive experience for teenagers.
- Previous work experience and responsibility with teenagers.
- Ability to work effectively and responsibly in a team situation.
- Patience, enthusiasm, safety consciousness, organizational skills and flexibility.
- Possess proven decision making skills.