Bold Earth Trip Leaders: The Best in Teen Adventure Travel
Bold Earth Trip Leaders provide safe, fun, and meaningful summer experiences on our adventure camps for teenagers from all over the globe! In the process, we get to explore, surf, hike, travel and sleep under the stars in some of the world’s most beautiful places. The job involves a unique combination of leadership, laughter, games, and hard work. We hear over and over again that a summer with Bold Earth is the most fun and rewarding outdoor job in the world.
Bold Earth teen trips are groups of approximately 13 teenagers with 2-3 adult leaders. New Trip Leaders are always paired with an experienced Senior Leader. Employment ranges from three to nine weeks and ends around August 16. Language skills and travel experience is considered during trip placement.
Bold Earth is now accepting applications for the 2019 summer season. If you meet the qualifications below, please email your resume and a video about yourself and why you want to work for Bold Earth to firstname.lastname@example.org (videos should be 1 minute or shorter featuring you, not a slideshow)
The following are required to be considered for employment with Bold Earth:
- 21 years old by June 27, 2019, on average our Trip Leaders are 26
- Must be legally allowed to work in the US.
- College graduate, or in the process of completing a degree
- Proven successful leadership experience with youth
- Wilderness First Responder and adult CPR certification (by June 19, 2019—typically completed after a Trip Leader has been hired)
- High energy, good judgment, and decision making skills
- No more than four points on your driving record in the past three years
- Background check which shows a clean and clear record
- Lifeguard Training (highly recommended) is required for second-year employees
- Ability to work with little/no time off and limited personal time
- Yes, certifications may be earned after hiring but before training begins in June
- Bold Earth is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion or age.
Bold Earth hires trip leaders for our teen summer camps on a rolling basis. We do not have an application deadline. However, the sooner we receive your application the better!
Trip Leader Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Co-leading an adventure that exceeds the exceptions of participants and families
- Maintaining high energy to get the best out of our teenagers
- Overseeing safety at all times and in diverse environments
- Having the foresight and focus to avoid unsafe situations before they occur
- Ensuring that safety is understood by all involved in every activity
- Successfully teaching teenagers to take initiative in learning skills
- Facilitating positive group dynamics
- Connecting with every participant in your group
- Encouraging cultural & environmental awareness
- Fostering leadership, self-reliance, and self-confidence
- Bold Earth contracts professional outfitters to join your group for skilled activities such as rock climbing, mountain biking, sailing, whitewater rafting, or kayaking.
- Trip Leaders do not need to have expert knowledge in all activities; however, employees oversee and are responsible for participants at all times.
See the World with Bold Earth!
Many Trip Leaders work with Bold Earth for six, eight, ten, or more years – returning for multiple summers with Bold Earth is the norm.
Bold Earth seeks to partner with adult Trip Leaders who will carry on our solid, hard-won reputation for excellence; we hire leaders who are highly motivated role models with experience working with teenagers. Organizational skills, sense of humor, and an ability to teach teenagers about leadership and adventure travel are the qualities we value most. We conduct multiple in-depth interviews, check references, and do background check on all leaders.
Bold Earth staff training is June 19 – June 26 in Denver, Colorado and is mandatory for every Trip Leader. It is a paid one-week training that occurs in the mountains outside of Denver. All accommodation, meals, and transportation are included once you have arrived in Denver. Bold Earth has an airport shuttle for those arriving by plane.
Although all Bold Earth leaders are mature adults with rich skills built over a lifetime, Bold Earth staff training offers a new and challenging course in youth leadership. The Bold Earth team uses training to teach and assess skills so our employees are fully ready for the complex and demanding task of youth leadership.
LEADER TESTIMONIALS & Bios
“Bold Earth is my second family and the greatest thing that ever happened to me! It represents the perfect balance of safety, fun, challenge and learning, and produces memories that last a lifetime!” – Dan Z
“Having been a Bold Earth camper, trip leader and full-time director, I know as well as anyone how epic a Bold Earth summer can be! Bold Earth gives young adults the chance to make new friends from across the world while being inspired by the coolest leaders and most amazing natural settings on the planet. I can’t think of a better way for teenagers to feed their curiosity for new places, experience independence and begin the transition to adulthood. Bold Earth is the best!” – Brian B
“It has been my dream to work for an outdoor adventure company ever since I took a similar trip when I was 16, and it is so fulfilling to have the opportunity to lead with Bold Earth. There is nothing that can trump the vast amount of knowledge and understanding to be gained from immersion in other cultures, and few other environments that foster the kind of relationships created at Bold Earth. I feel absolutely honored to guide for Bold Earth: the enthusiasm and endless joy plastered to my face is unmistakable!” – Jen B
“Bold Earth always delivers an amazing adventure full of incredible memories and life-changing experiences. Every employee at Bold Earth shares my passion for working with youth, passing on my knowledge of the outdoors and exploring the natural world. I am truly fortunate to be surrounded by such an inspiring team while shaping the lives of the amazing teens we dedicate our summers to. I can’t help but smile when I think about my time with Bold Earth, and am so grateful to be part of such a rewarding endeavor.” – Sheila L
“Bold Earth is such a blessing, both to the trip leaders and to the participants. Bold Earth has given me the chance to share incredible experiences with incredible people! This opportunity allows for youth to gain independence and broaden their horizons; as a trip leader, I am honored to be part of that experience.” – Ashley Z
“Bold Earth has allowed me to do what I love most, show young people the beauty in exploring our world and everything in it. The program enables me to extend my love and understanding of nature to my participants while being immersed in it. I crave adventure, learning, and experiencing new things and Bold Earth is the perfect program to quench all of these desires. Bold Earth has been a wholesome experience that I wish everyone could be a part of.” – Chris S
In accordance with Federal law, Bold Earth does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) To file a complaint of discrimination: write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (202) 720-5964 (voice and TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.