Bold Earth’s Approach to Coronavirus

April 2, 2020

As part of our community, we want you to know that the health and safety of Bold Earth students and staff is our number one priority. 

We understand that some of our parents are concerned about their children traveling this summer. Bold Earth is closely monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) across the world with a focus on our operating areas. We are moving forward under the assumption that we will be able to run a safe and successful summer as planned. As we have all seen, this situation continues to evolve rapidly, and our response may change as we learn more.

We remain in consistent communication with our in-country partners, as well as public health experts and other organizations in our industry. We are committed to making the most informed decision in regard to the safety and well-being of our students and staff. At this time, we are planning to run our summer 2020 adventures as planned. We believe the next six to eight weeks will indicate whether we can proceed as normal. 

We have modified our cancellation policy, extending our deadline for refunds (minus the $200 cancellation fee) until May 1, 2020. If the government authorities do not permit Bold Earth to operate-or if we feel we cannot run a safe, successful, and healthy summer and choose not to operate-we will move your tuition forward to summer 2021 or you may request a refund. 

If your child tests positive for COVID-19 and cannot make their scheduled trip, we will work with you by either transferring them to a later summer trip (pending availability) or pushing their tuition forward to 2021.

We will update and communicate our policies as the situation evolves and more information becomes available. We will communicate specific policies regarding the coronavirus (hygiene, screening, etc.) closer to the summer with the benefit of additional knowledge. Below are some of the many resources we’ve been using to help monitor the COVID-19 situation and inform our decision making.

We’re all in this together. Thank you for your understanding, patience, and support as we navigate this. We welcome your questions, so please don’t hesitate to call us at 303-526-0806. 


Dock, Josh, Hayley, Emory, and Michelle

Trip and travel insurance

As you consider travel insurance, make sure you read through the fine print carefully. Many policies will not cover cancellation due to “fear of travel”; essentially, they won’t reimburse you if you’re worried about how COVID-19 may impact your student’s travel plans. If you purchased the “cancel for any reason” rider, call your insurance company to confirm that “fear of travel” is included.

Some companies do not have exclusions regarding epidemics or pandemics, meaning you may make claims including emergency medical or trip interruption if your child contracts COVID-19 or goes under quarantine while traveling.

Read through your insurance (or credit card) company’s FAQs regarding Coronavirus, or call them directly to get all of your questions answered.

Here’s a great article from Outside Online regarding travel and trip insurance. 


March 3, 2020

Will we change trips in response to the Coronavirus?

We will always modify our trips in response to anything that could threaten the safety and well-being of our students. Over the years, we have had to modify trip itineraries based on all sorts of events (storms, forest fires, closures, etc.), and we have always succeeded in running high-quality trips. Our close relationships with long-term partners afford us a high degree of flexibility when it comes to adapting to changing circumstances, and our small personal size allows us to closely monitor and support each trip and student. As always, we will communicate with you as we decide to make changes to our adventures.

How is Bold Earth monitoring this situation?

We have been continuously monitoring the Coronavirus situation on a daily basis, and we remain in communication with our partners on the ground. We strive to be informed regarding the Coronavirus, so we receive updates from the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), and the State Department travel program. In addition, we have personal relationships with the foremost experts in the field of public health. 

We want to ensure that you are comfortable with your child’s adventure with Bold Earth this summer. Please know that you can switch your child to a different trip, provided there is space on that trip. If you wish to cancel for any reason, you may do so until April 1, 2020, less the $200 cancellation fee.

We will be updating this page as the situation progresses. Please know that your child’s safety is our first priority and that we are currently planning on operating summer 2020 as scheduled. If you have any questions, please call us anytime at 303-526-0806.