Senior trip leader: Colorado Bold
Casey is returning to Bold Earth for his second year as a trip leader. He calls Huntington Beach, CA; while in college, he spent three summers as a camp counselor for children whose parents are cancer patients; he also traveled to Tasmania and Ireland. During the year, he works for the Pali Institute as an outdoor educator to kids of all ages.
- Education: University of California, Santa Barbara; bachelor’s degree in environmental science
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder, lifeguard
- What was the last big trip you took? A road trip from the San Bernardino Mountains to Vancouver, over to Glacier National Park, and down through Yellowstone National Park—eventually landing in Colorado. It was incredible to see so many cool natural spaces, as well as encounter the different cultures and street scenes in the cities we traveled through. We filled much of time with good food, podcasts, hikes, sightseeing, and games of Catan! It was a blast!
- What excites you the most about working for BE this summer? I love camping, hiking, and above all traveling. I can’t wait to take in so many new incredible experiences and chaperone youth in doing the same. Our world is so incredible, I’m excited to see more of it and even more excited to see some awesome teenagers adventure in it!
- Favorite travel memory? The first time I realized Yosemite was the coolest place ever. I was extremely fortunate as a kid to travel there yearly with my family, and I vividly remember the moment (I was 16 years old) where I was standing in a field staring at Half Dome to the right and Yosemite Falls to the left and thinking, “I want to see more places like this!”
- Favorite quote? “It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.” – W. E. Henley