Senior trip leader: Alps
Calling Irvine, CA, home, Darcy has pursued outdoor adventure in more than 40 countries, including South Africa, Peru, South Korea, and Spain, where she taught English at a youth center. She currently resides in Portland, OR and leads backpacking and paddling trips. She speaks Spanish fluently, and next year she’ll be pursuing a master’s degree in education and plans to teach middle and high school English. Darcy returns to Bold Earth for her fourth year as a trip leader.
- Education: University of California, Los Angeles; bachelor’s degree in English
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder, lifeguard
- What was the last big trip you took? I hiked, rafted, and spelunked my way through Malaysia and Indonesia for several months last fall! I spent many of my days getting soaked by tropical storms in a very shabby tent.
- What excites you the most about working for BE this summer? I can’t wait to meet all of my students! The wonderful, funny, brave, and adventurous teenagers that choose to spend their summer stepping out of their comfort zones are the best part of Bold Earth!
- Favorite travel memory? In 2017, I traveled solo for six months in Central and South America. During that time, I learned to scuba dive, hiked through the rainforest, practiced my Spanish, and made lots of friends along the way!
- Favorite quote: “A ship is safe in the harbor, but that is not what ships are built for.” – John A. Shedd