Senior trip leader: Ultimate Costa Rica
Ian is returning to Bold Earth for his ninth year as a trip leader. Originally from Raleigh, NC, Ian now resides in Denver, CO, where he’s a high school humanities teacher. His school’s focus is not only on academics, but also on providing experiential education and service learning opportunities.
- Education: Appalachian State University; bachelor’s degree in history, secondary education
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder, lifeguard
- What was the last big trip you took? Last summer I went up to Alaska to trot around in the mountains. It was my fourth time getting up there, second during the summer (first summer visit was leading for Bold Earth). It’s always amazing to me how easy and rewarding it is to get “out there.” North to the future!
- What excites you most about working for BE this summer? I am super excited to return to Bold Earth after being gone the past few summers. I thought I had “retired,” but the opportunity to connect with others and the world around us all while laughing, playing, and growing is something that is hard to not be drawn to.
- Favorite travel memory? One of the best memories I have was when my friend and I went on an extended road trip consisting of backcountry snowboarding the high alpine peaks of Colorado, climbing the desert towers of Utah, and enjoying all the little moments in between.
- Favorite quote: “Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Don’t bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.” – William Faulkner