Trip leader: Colorado Discovery and Costa Rica Discovery
Mackinzie grew up in northern California but has become a central coast transplant in recent years. While at Cal Poly, she studied abroad in Torino, Italy. She was a her school’s Adventure Club intern, taking students with special needs on different outdoor adventures in San Luis Obispo country. For two years, she worked as a day camp teacher and lead counselor for Hume Lake Camp in central CA. Mackinzie is joining Bold Earth for her first year as a trip leader.
- Education: California Polytechnic State University; bachelor’s degree in child development
- Certification: Wilderness first responder
- What was the last big trip you took? Last year I studied abroad and lived in Italy for four months where I had the amazing opportunity to travel all around Europe. I traveled throughout Italy, France, Spain, Ireland, Germany, and Croatia, and I loved having the opportunity to be immersed in several different cultures. I got to climb in the Italian Alps, ski in the French Alps, and explore Croatia’s beautiful waterfalls!
- What excites you the most about working for BE this summer? I love traveling, the great outdoors, exploring new places, and hanging out with teenagers! What better way to spend my summer than being able to mix all of these things together?! I am so excited to have the opportunity to build relationships with the students on my trips, encourage them to step out of their comfort zones, try new things, make life-long memories, and have fun!
- Favorite travel memory? Travel was a huge part of my childhood. In high school, I had the opportunity to go to Rwanda with an organization called Africa New Life. One memory I will never forget from this trip was being able to meet face to face the child that my family had sponsored and wrote letters back and forth to over the years! It was such a unique experience being able to play games and laugh with him, see where he lived, meet his family, and see the impact this organization had on his education and health.
- Favorite quote: “It takes courage to say yes to rest and play in a culture where exhaustion is seen as a status symbol.” – Brene Brown