Trip leader: Grand Canyon
Maddie grew up in Port Washington, NY, and developed a love of the outdoors during summers spent at camp in the Catskill Mountains. (In fact, Maddie was a Bold Earth student years ago!) Maddie will receive a master’s degree in strategic communication this August from her alma mater. As a grad student, she earned a finalist spot at the annual Patagonia Case Competition and is an Atlantic Coast Conference scholar-athlete on the varsity rowing team. Maddie is returning to Bold Earth for her second year as a trip leader.
- Education: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; bachelor’s degree in environmental studies
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder, lifeguard
- What was the last big trip you took? This past April I went with a few of my college friends to visit two of our friends who are interning on a farm in Tuscany! The highlight was helping my bud feed some baby pigs.
- What excites you the most about working for BE this summer? Getting to explore some amazing places with my phenomenal BE crew, star-gazing, and van ride jam sessions.
- Favorite travel memory? Hiking down into Havasupai in the Grand Canyon with my students and co-leader last summer. It was sweltering hot, and nothing makes a hike better than jumping into crystal-clear water at the end.
- Favorite quote: “More people worship the rising than the setting sun.” – Pompey