Senior trip leader: Costa Rica Active 1 & 2
Hailing from Buffalo, NY, Tessa is returning for her second year as a Bold Earth trip leader. (She was a Bold Earth student as a high school!) After graduation, she traveled throughout the United States and Central America, where she worked with children in an environmental and outdoor recreational setting. Currently, she runs an after-school program for at-risk youth in Santa Cruz, CA, and she is fluent in Spanish.
- Education: State University of New York; bachelor’s degree in environmental science and forestry
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder, lifeguard
- What was the last big trip you took? In March 2019, I went to Bahia de Caraquez on the coast of Ecuador. Bahia de Caraquez is a city I have visited many times over the past seven years as a volunteer working with their local eco-club. I had the amazing experience of living and working there for eight months after I graduated. It had been nearly two years since I had been there, so it was very exciting to see old friends and check out the new projects, as well as ones I had worked on years ago. It is a place very close to my heart. ¡Ama la vida!
- What excites you the most about working for BE this summer? Everything! Seeing new places, meeting new people, and experiencing all that there is to experience!
- Favorite travel memory? Backpacking in the Grand Canyon and swimming in Havasu Falls with Bold Earth when I was 15!
- Favorite quote: “For in the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.” – Baba Dioum