Senior trip leader: Colorado Discovery and Costa Rica Discovery
Tyson is joining Bold Earth for his 14th year as a trip leader. He was born in California but moved to the Rockies at a young age; there, he developed a passion for the outdoors. He has worked in Hawaii in an after-school program; at his alma mater as an outdoor recreation leader; in Alaska with a glacier guiding company; and in California as a snowboard instructor. Tyson’s Bold Earth tenure has led him to Colorado, Utah, Arizona, California, Alaska, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Thailand, Africa, Ecuador, and Costa Rica. Tyson is returning to Bold Earth for his 13th year!
- Education: Utah Valley University; bachelor’s degree in outdoor leadership
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder, lifeguard
- What was the last big trip you took? Historically, my birthdays have been a little on the boring side… but not this year! I decided to lean into new territory and celebrate. Some good friends and I woke up early, put on costumes (I was in a bear onesie), and hiked to the top of a mountain where we danced, ate cake, and skied down.
- What excites you the most about working for BE this summer? I can’t have one thing here. First, I love how Bold Earth puts you in the present moment. Your attention is 100% on that days activity with the community we create. I also love being apart of the growth that the campers and I experience, we all learn new things about ourselves and it’s amazing to have those new perspective. They can be life changing. Last, this might sound a little corny but Bold Earth feel like a family and running a trip or two in the summer is a special time of the year.
- Favorite quote: “Never look down on anybody unless you’re helping them up.” – Jesse Jackson