- Great Wall Overnight Trek
- Xi’an, Terracotta Warriors
- Rock Climb
- Chinese Cooking School
- Hong Kong & Beijing
2017 Dates & Prices
14 Days: $4288.00
July 1 - July 14
July 16 - July 29
BEIJING: FORBIDDEN CITY AND TIANANMEN SQUARE
Past and present collide as we start our journey in Beijing, where Tiananmen Square, Mao’s resting place and the Forbidden City speak to the city’s rich heritage. Our first community service project involves working with a local Hutong charity for students with learning disabilities. Explore the sights and the depth of China’s capital city on Bold Earth’s China teen program.
TREK ON THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA
Our exploration of the country’s world-class landmarks continues as we undertake a breathtaking two-day trek along the 2,000-year-old Great Wall of China. With support from porters, we trace the Wall through mountaintop forests while learning about its history from a local guide. Nightly stays in quaint guest houses afford us the opportunity to wake up in the shadow of this extraordinary world wonder.
TERRACOTTA WARRIORS AND THE LONGMEN GROTTOES
Next, we travel to Xi’an and visit the Terracotta Warriors, where thousands of statues face east in battle formation, protecting the emperor’s tomb. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is not to be missed! Leaving Xi’an we visit the ancient and world-famous Longmen Grottoes and Xiaolin Temple. We spend an afternoon seeing thousands of traditional Buddhist carvings that line the walls of these ancient caves.
PAST AND PRESENT: YANGSHUO AND HONG KONG
Historically a sleepy farming community, Yangshuo blossomed into China’s adventure capital during the 1990s, and now draws everyone from backpackers and rock climbers to domestic tourists. In this picturesque town on the Li River, we enjoy rock climbing, tai chi, biking, Chinese cooking classes and a community service project. Moving out of the countryside, Bold Earth’s China teen trip concludes in the bustling metropolis of Hong Kong. A visit to Victoria Peak provides incredible views of Victoria Harbor, and the neon jungle of Kowloon glows as we celebrate an epic journey with a final Chinese feast.
- Beijing: Tianamen Square & Forbidden City
- Great Wall: 2 Day Trek
- Xi'an: Bike along Ancient City Walls
- Terracotta Warrior & Longmen Grottoes
- Yangshou: Rock Climbing & Biking
- Hong Kong: Markets & Mountains
14 days full of the best China has to offer! From the Great Wall and Tiananmen Square to Southern China and Hong Kong – this trip HAS IT ALL!
China is a top destination for travelers and explorers alike. Filled with a rich heritage, the world’s most populous nation overflows with culture, history and wonder of China. Bold Earth Teen Adventures will take you into the heart China on an authentic cultural adventure.
Bold Earth families expect China’s Best to be safe, authentic, meaningful and impactful. 24/7 we travel with a local Chinese guide plus 2 Bold Earth leaders. China’s Best is designed specifically to be a teen appropriate adventure which is full, active and deep with experience. WOW!
China’s Best is a hands on exploration of the culture, food and adventure of one the planet’s most interesting countries. Tour this vast country with a small group and experienced guides.
Some AWESOME Highlights:
• Beijing: Forbidden City & Tiananmen Square
• Ancient Beijing: Hutong Community Service
• Hike the Great Wall of China
• Xian: Visit the Terracotta Warriors
• Luoyang: Xiaolin Temple & Longmen Grottoes
• Yangshuo: Rock Climbing & Biking
• Cooking School & Delicious Chinese Food
• Hong Kong: Visit the Peak & Harbor Cruise
• 1.351 billion people
• Authentic: Culture, Language & History
To receive a list of China’s Best references call us in Colorado at 303-526-0806 or email email@example.com. Please mention the trip you are interested and where you live.
Since 1976 over 16,000 students from all 50 US states and 55 countries have joined Bold Earth! We encourage you to contact our alumni directly to find out about the quality of our leaders, depth of programing and what a summer with Bold Earth is really like.
We want careful and selective families to choose Bold Earth. Our offerings are only as good as the families who choose Bold Earth Adventures. Our target student is responsible, informed and enthusiastic.
Bold Earth has carefully built China’s Best to be the perfect adventure travel trip for teens in China. Travel like a local from North to South. Students discover a rich culture, a deep history and a country rapidly leaping forward.
• Beijing: China’s capital city is filled with a rich heritage, incredible food and provides a glimpse into Chinese politics and history. In an ancient Hutong Neighborhood, campers will volunteer and teach at a local school for special needs students! WOW! Yes, campers have an incredible tour of Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City!
• Great Wall of China: 2,000 years old, and visible from outer-space, the Great Wall of China is on the top of many travel lists. Our incredible two day guided trek is a glimpse into China’s history, ingenuity and is off the beaten track! We hardly see any other tourists.
• Xi’an & Terracotta Warriors: Experience the thrill of bike riding on Xi’an’s ancient city walls and exploring Xi’an’s world-famous old city. Also, in Xi’an we visit the Terracotta Warriors: thousands of life size statues in battle formation protecting the emperor’s tomb!
• Yangshou: Outdoor adventure awaits in the town of Yangshou, located in the Southern Chinese province of Guilin. Home to incredible limestone karst pillars, the Li River winds its way through the landscape. Campers bike, hike, rock climb and experience incredible rural culture. The cooking class is a highlight as campers learn to make their favorite Chinese dishes. The small town of Yangshou is a welcomed reprieve from China’s urban areas.
• Hong Kong: Build up your appetites for adventure, food and culture as we travel to Hong Kong. The home of dim sum, neon lights and incredible views, Hong Kong is a world city. Campers experience a harbor cruise and enjoy the skyline from Victoria Peak. Hong Kong is both foreign and familiar as campers dive into this unique city!
An exotic location, vast history, culture, and a comprehensive action packed itinerary make Bold Earth’s China program a must do adventure. If you really want to experience the variety of Asia, we invite you to join China’s Best.
Bold Earth spends countless hours securing incredible, perfect and amazing accommodations for China’s Best. Bold Earth does it best. YES, you will be comfortable!
• Hotels: 11 Nights
• Overnight Trains: 2 Nights (Bunk Beds!)
Hotels in China: Hotels on China’s Best are small bed & breakfast style hotels. With western-style bathrooms and air-conditioning, campers are comfortable and cool. We do not stay at Marriott style hotels, Bold Earth chooses small, family run hotels in order to benefit the local economy and see the real China.
Overnight Trains: Very comfortable! Campers are shocked to see bunk beds and private cabins on a train! Campers spend 2 (non-consecutive) nights on overnight trains. A very common and efficient way to travel, campers go to sleep and wake up in a new place ready to go!
China is a diverse country and the China’s Best itinerary takes advantage of everything. Bold Earth students are intrepid travelers who enjoy authentic adventure travel. China’s Best is NOT rated as one of Bold Earth’s most rugged trips.
China’s Best is a carefully crafted trip. Where, how and why we pick each night’s lodging is why you select and put your trust in Bold Earth and we honor that trust.
Campers volunteer at a Bold Earth supported charity for Chinese school kids with learning disabilities. Located in a Beijing ‘Hutong’ neighborhood, the project gives campers a valued glimpse into the social network of China.
We spend the day working with underprivileged youth to gain knowledge and experience of the local children’s living conditions (8 hours).
• Maximum of 13 students.
• 2 Bold Earth trip leaders (at least 1 male and 1 female).
• 1 Local Chinese Leader.
Group size matters! Small groups can travel – see culture, experience ‘local’ and cultivate better relationships.
One guide on your China’s Best trip will be Chinese, speak Chinese and understand local culture at a deep level. Knowledgeable and experienced guides make Bold Earth trips safer while giving Bold Earth programs powerful authenticity.
Leadership and taking charge is a planned part of every day. You will get a chance to be a Leader of the Day (LOD), which will give you the opportunity to step into a leadership role. Our goal is for students to return home with a dozen new lifelong friends, feeling more confident, more of a leader, and more self aware with a better appreciation of the world around them.
A male and female leader will be with the group 24/7.
On China’s Best, we eat local food (delicious) in casual restaurants. We eat high quality Chinese food to get a glimpse into Chinese culture and everyday life.
Bold Earth visits comfortable restaurants that serve safe, delicious and nutritious food. Yes, Bold Earth provides bottled water to campers.
China is famous for its amazing food! Chinese food in China is incredible! The history of Chinese cuisine expands back thousands of years and is unique in each region according to climate, imperial fashions and local preferences. Chinese cuisine includes a diversity of influences originating from the many regions of China.
Bold Earth’s favorite dishes include: Sweet and Sour Chicken/Tofu (糖醋里脊), Gong Bao Chicken (宫保鸡丁), Bok Choy (白菜), Chow Mein (炒面), Dumplings (饺子) and Spring Rolls (春卷). Of course each dish will vary from place to place, but the cuisine will always be prepared fresh – retaining the culture poured into every bite. EXPLORE this nation through the palate of the locals!
July is one of the best times to visit China. While the weather is hot and humid, the group can comfortably be active during the day and evening.
The average temperature is 80 – 90°F (27-31°C).
Wear loose fitting clothing because it will be humid! China is beautiful and by the end you will be wishing to never leave!
CLICK: China’s Best Packing List for a carefully detailed description of exactly what to bring.
Give Bold Earth a call at 303-526-0806 if you have any questions. A Bold Earth trip advisor is are always available to help.
Bold Earth carefully researches possible health risks as part of our trip planning for the exact destinations we visit in China. Bold Earth visits established tourist locations. For most campers standard vaccinations are sufficient for travel in China.
Three precautions to keep you healthy in China:
1. Eat only hot and well cooked food usually prepared in front of you.
2. Drink only bottled water or boiling hot tea
For more information, please consult your family physician or local travel clinic. The day to day China’s Best itinerary on the website can be printed show to your travel clinic or family physician.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a China specific website which we find to be very broad covering all areas, seasons and types of travel.
A Tourist Visa is required for most campers to enter China.
Bold Earth has expertly made the process as easy as possible. We will walk you through the simple AND automatic process once you are accepted on China’s Best.
We understand that this can be confusing for some so we want to make it smooth and straight forward for all. Call Bold Earth with any questions!
Travel Made Easy!
- Fly Together: Our goal is to fly together as a group. All students are met upon arrival and families are called immediately from the airport.
- We recommend participants book flights three months before departure. Booking around April 1st allows the Bold Earth team to guarantee low fares and maximum coordinated group flights.
- Combine 2 Trips: Many Bold Earth participants combine Bold Earth trips. Call or e-mail our office for more information.
One word: WOW! I had the most incredible experience on China's Best this summer. Not only do I have a more universal and open minded view on this world we live in, but I also made 10 new friends that will last a lifetime.
PARENTS, Amaya: Brett LOVED China’s Best and the counselors. I would say that your trips are great! I wish I could have had my kids do more of them.
PARENTS, Maya & Wesley: China's Best was a very organized trip and I felt informed on the group's activities. My son loved the trip and the leaders. He could not say enough good things about trip.